Recently I saw a new diorama item available from a new company, J's Work. The company is producing 1/35 accessories for building and detailing dioramas. Seeing the street molds, I had to order a set. At the moment, these can only be ordered from Lucky Models, as they are the exclusive distributor. And they are prices right, at about $5-$6 each. So I ordered the following:
• PPA3018 - Silicone Mold For 1/35 Pavement 1
• PPA3019 - Silicone Mold For 1/35 Pavement 2
• PPA3003 - Silicone Mold For 1/35 Pavement Stone 1
• PPA3004 - Silicone Mold For 1/35 Pavement Stone 2
The package arrived and I was in a hurry to get it open and look. Each was individually package in plastic wrap with a cardboard label attached. I noticed that only the two Pavement Stone molds came with instructions. There were no instructions for the street molds. Luckily you can find the instructions on the J's Work website. Not that you really need the instruction, the seem pretty straight forward, just add you favorite molding plaster.
Upon inspection of the molds, they look very nice, a soft "rubbery" material. The moldings look crisp and well done. I did notice a little extra molding material around some of the edges that I felt would affect the molding process, but nothing a little pair of scissor or hobby knife could not deal with.
Well after the inspection, it was time to try them out, so off the work room. So I mixed up a batch of Woodland's Scenic Lightweight Hydrocal and filled the molds. As I mentioned above, it was pretty straight forward, especially the larger street section. It is a little more work with the individual stones, as to ensure to fill each hole and ensure to get the air out to prevent bubbles.
I let the moldings dry over night, and with the rubbery material of the mold, the moldings came out very easily. And there I had it a small section of cobblestone street. It looked good, but I was a little unimpressed by the unevenness of the cobbles themselves. To me it looks like a very rough street, and not really to scale for 1/35. Also not very big, you would need to combine multiple sections to reproduce an actual street. So looking on the instructions on the web site, they showed how to connect multiple moldings, so another patch of hydrocal, filled the molds and waited overnight again.
Presto, another piece of cobblestone street. According to the instructions, after cleaning up the edges you should be able to match the pieces together lengthwise. So I tried, neither direction allowed the ends to match up very well with out leaving so rather "large" gaps. But I would think a little extra sanding and fitting would do the part.
As for the individual stones themselves, they take a little extra work to get each cobble out, and they themselves look great. Just lay them out and start forming your own street.
For a "second opinion", here's
a review of J's Works Stone Pavement Mold by Russ Amott.