I got the idea for a Panzer mk3j in a recovery area from a photo that I found in the Concord Publication, The Panzerkampfwagen 3 at War. I wanted to add a J to my collection as I have an L as well that will be started soon. I also wanted the earlier J style engine deck rather than the late one which makes it look more like an L.
The two kits used were a Tamiya Mk3L and a Dragon Mk3 Stug F. I "borrowed" the rear deck from the stug kit which then had to be married onto the Tamiya one. This fit then required a reshaping with modeling clay and putty on the rear end to backdate and match the engine deck.
Aber brass was then added and i took the guards off as in the photo. I had to also drilled out the brake cooling air intake vent as I had removed the cover. The model Kasten final drive housings where used as these had better deatil than the kit offerings [brown in photo].I also added some scratch stuff like the scalloping under the guards and interior stuff that wasn't Aber but needed to be there to fill in when you looked through the open hatch. The interior detail isn't all exact but I wanted an interior that would fill in the areas seen through the open hatch's.
The tank was always going to be in a winter camo scheme but I did like it in German grey which made it hard to cover up. The tank was first coated in Tamiya German grey and sealed, then it got a light white coat over maskol chips, then a more intense coat in patch's. I then did some hand chipping as well as adding some nice half frozen mud from Mother Russia. The mud was a mix of Hudson and Allen mud with some Mig pigments Russian earth all mixed together in white glue.
After completeing the build of the tank, I then went about creating the ground work and tracklink positioning etc. and positioned the tank on the base to test fit. At this point everything has been glued down except the tank itself.
The figure is a Hornet white metal one and the accessories are varied from Italieri to Verlinden.