login   |    register

Branch Engine House

  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
Office Extension
The tricky part is adding the office extension. It requires one odd wall section to be trimmed. Before you do that make sure your other walls are sturdy with square corners - it's much easier to fashion a roof to fit on rectangles and squares than onto polygons!

I trimmed the wall end. To make sure the corner is as sturdy as possible, I used the last corner "L" to create a slot and groove for it.

The office needed a lot of attention. I made my decision for the wall configuration and that required the roof oriented front to back. That required more precious wall height extensions and pilasters. Now the careful aligning and squaring of the office against the main building really paid off. The result is a false front for the office with the roof shedding water along the sides. I think it looks better than a single slope down from the main hall.

To keep the sheet from warping inward I used a discarded overflow tab to make hold the support straight with the rest of the wall.

Remember that I just have to be different and changed the roofs? Putting a peaked roof on the office required two of the wall height extenders and extra tall pilasters. Those would be missed later as I needed them to fill in other spaces created by my roof arrangement!

I waterproofed the roof with more masking tape 'tar paper' as per the main roof. I have seen roofing paper in different colors and decided that the fashion conscience superintendent would like a nice roof behind the nice facade, so I painted it green. Looks snazzy, huh?

Doors and windows
This went pretty fast. The RDA office and freight doors fit into the portals from inside, as do the two office windows. The six engine house windows are a bit different. I am unsure whether they are meant to be installed from inside of on the exterior. They fill the window recess from the outside but they look a bit odd. Mounting from the inside they are too tall for their portals; careful alignment is required for the framing to be symmetrical when seen from the outside. These parts I secured with liquid model glue.

Engine stall doors
These did not come with the kit. I understand that RDA is planning to include them from now on. These four came via Carolina Craftman Kits. I painted them and joined them with CA. They fit into the engine portal but they are not long enough to span from the rail heads to the portal arch. (That is not uncommon with engine houses.)

Clerestory and chimneys
I wanted this feature and decided it would perch atop the office. Follow the instructions and it will go together well. I think it adds interest to the extension.

Three chimneys are made with two parts each. Both faces have nice brick detail while the sides are bare. I scored creases into the sides to try to simulate masonry. Also, the chimneys are not molded open. I suggest carving them open before assembly.

After they were assembled and painted I trimmed and filed them to set where I needed them.

  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move

About the Author

About Frederick Boucher (JPTRR)
FROM: TENNESSEE, UNITED STATES

I'm a professional pilot with a degree in art. My first model was an AMT semi dump truck. Then Monogram's Lunar Lander right after the lunar landing. Next, Revell's 1/32 Bf-109G...cried havoc and released the dogs of modeling! My interests--if built before 1900, or after 1955, then I proba...


Comments

You have done a superb job on the kit! I like the way you have colored the stone.
MAY 08, 2013 - 11:46 PM